Friday, July 25, 2008

Pedicure







One of the luxuries I have afforded myself as a stay at home mom is to get an occasional pedicure. Ok, the term "occasional" might be a slight understatement--once every week or two! BG, MM, and Crab will appreciate where this story is going! I found this great nail place (thanks, MM) across the street from my favorite store, Wal-Mart! In Birmingham, I used to go to a hair salon called Spectrum. My mom still goes there every Saturday at 2:00. Over the years, these people start to feel like your family. Martha did my hair for prom, for my wedding, and even when I moved to Tupelo. Nails City has become my new Spectrum, only for feet and not for hair! I love listening to my new Vietnamese friends talk--and I have to be the occasional interpreter for my friends! I know their life stories, and they know mine. When Lee went back home to visit her family in Vietnam, she brought Mary Conlee back a bracelet. Whenever MC goes with me, the sweet girls in there paint hers, too--complete with an oriental flower on her big toes! If I ever go without MC, she throws a big hissy fit. Well, I went last week without her and she knew that the new shade of Charged Up Cherry looked different from the Cajun Shrimp from the week before. "You went without me!" she screamed. "Well, I had to go when I had the time," I explained. So this morning I found my daughter in the tub doing something that would bring tears to any mother's eyes. She was giving herself a home pedi. She had several cups filled with soapy water and was scrubbing her little piggies with an old toothbrush. She was even scrubbing the bottoms of her little feet, just like they do mine. So I decided to treat MC to her own mani and pedi today. Lee wouldn't let me pay and told me MC was like her adopted daughter! Nails City may not be around by the time we get to prom or the wedding, but Mary Conlee will go to her first day of Kindergarten with the prettiest little toes in Tupelo!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Your toes look soo pretty, Mary Conlee!

Sydney said...

What a wonderful tradition! Anna Grace has never had a "real" pedicure. I may need to treat her before school starts. Thanks for a great idea!