Yesterday, Judd and I drove home from the North Mississippi Medical Center with a newborn. Two of them, actually. And today, we dropped those babies off at school- BIG school. I can remember every detail of their births, what they wore home from the hosptial, what their nurseries look liked, and how they made us feel inside. Today, I remember every detail of the long 3 1/2 mile drive to Parkway. What they wore to school, what their backpacks looked like, and the way they looked from behind as they walked inside those big doors. What I'm having a hard time remembering is what happened between the ride home from the hospital and the first day of school! Where has the time gone? As Judd and I watched the movie, Mamma Mia, we were flooded with many memories. We went to London and Paris while I was pregnant with Cole. While we were there, we saw the musical Mamma Mia! I loved all the music from ABBA, but everytime I heard it, I had a resurgence of morning sickness. Hearing the songs Dancing Queen or Mamma Mia made me feel pregnant all over again! As we were watching the movie, some 8 years later, a new kind of pain hit me. The song "Slipping Through My Fingers" brought about a sense of homesickness. The feeling that my babies are growing up so fast and the worry that I'll miss something are all part of being a parent! From the song Slipping Through My Fingers
"Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl."
So from time to time, I will have to pull out our ABBA records, have a good cry, and then thank God for His wonderful gifts- Cole and Mary Conlee!

3 comments:
Glad you had a great day at school. I like your pictures.
Sara Frances :)
Mary Conlee,
I like your backpack!
Loved your narrative about Cole and MC leaving the hospital one day not too long ago and a short time later leaving the nest to start "big school". The pictures and the lyrics to the song were perfect. It was a very touching and sweet story. MA. you are a very talented and gifted writer as well as wonderful wife and mother. EGG
Ok, I just was Mama Mia tonight and had the same feelings about my 2 precious gifts. Does seem to go by way to quickly!
Post a Comment