Saturday, November 1, 2008

Our Birthday Girl

Your birth announcement picture


Cole loves his baby sister


What a head full of hair at 3 months!


One of my favorites- tiptoeing in the flowers at Bubbe and Pop's house


Happy 3rd birthday!


Our princess


Dear Mary Conlee,

Happy Birthday to our little princess! It's hard to believe that you are six years old today. We have loved and prayed for you, even before God gave you to us. Daddy and I were so happy when we found out that Cole was going to have a baby sister. We had a little difficult time naming you because Daddy and I had our own ideas for your name. I'm so very grateful that for once, I listened to him and named you Mary Conlee, after your Daddy. You look so much like your Dad, eventhough you think you look like me because of your long hair. You do share my determination and strong will!

Ever since we brought our little pink bundle of joy home, our lives have never been the same. Cole was 22 months old when you were born, so he has no memory of life without you. That is the way it should be! Because he couldn't pronouce your name, we started calling you Mae Mae (after Granny) and that's the name you are called most often. Through all the hugs and pushes you both give each other, I am so thankful that you will always be there to take care of one another.

I remember when we weaned you from the bottle. At 12 months of age, you already knew how to be a rebel! You refused to drink anything for 6 days, so we had to pump you full of applesauce and anything else we could find with fluids. Lucky for us, we didn't give in...and you finally drank out of a juice box, as if you had been doing it all your life. You gave us plenty to worry about when you decided it was much more fun to be carried than to walk for yourself. After 2 rounds of specialists determined that you would walk when you were ready...you did just that (at 17 months old!) And the sucking of the fingers, well that was indeed the hardest battle to overcome! A finger guard and many tears later, you were cured of your habit that began in utero! I remember when you began wearing glasses before you turned 2. That was the saddest day of my life at the time. But you were so happy to wear them and they became a part of your personality. Now, I can't imagine your sweet face without them!

For every worry and tear we've had over you, you have given us ten more in which to be happy and blessed. Your love of animals is so sweet. You wake up and go to sleep with Brody on your mind. Your gentle ways are a reminder of how we should treat other people. Your loving spirit and bubbly personality are definitely contagious. I hope you will always keep your philosophy of "dancing through life" with you everywhere you go. We pray that you will fulfill the life God has planned for you. Mary Conlee, what a wonderful gift we received on November 2, 2002. You are our beloved, our angel, our little girl... and we thank God everyday for His wonderful gift.

Love always,
Mommy and Daddy

5 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Conlee!!

Mary Margaret said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great day!!

ginny said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Conlee! Martha Ann, this is a moving post. What a wonderful way to acknowledge God's beautiful gift to you, Judd and Cole.

Robyn said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Conlee!!!
Love you!!!

Wampler World said...

MA,
I LOVE this letter and lookback at MC. What sweet moments you have captured and lived. You make everyday so special for those around you. What a wonderful freind you are...!