Sunday, December 21, 2008

All Aboard!!! Next Stop...the North Pole!

On Friday afternoon, we made the trip to Calera- about 25 miles outside of Birmingham. This is where we caught the Polar Express headed to the North Pole. We arrived early, like instructed, wearing our pajamas (well, just the kids wore pj's). This gave us plenty of time to walk around the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum and take lots of pictures. Then at 5:00 sharp, we met the conductor on our train car, the Kayenta, to get our ticket punched. Pop, the kids, Judd, and Jennifer (Crab), and I boarded the Polar Express. Music from the movie was playing throughout the train. As soon as the train pulled away from the station, they read us the story of The Polar Express. We traveled through the dark night, winding around the moutains and icy ground bound for the North Pole. Amazingly, it wasn't more than a 10 minute trip. We soon started seeing lights in the distance and discovered we were at the North Pole. Right outside our window were the lights of Santa's workshop, several of Santa's elves, and of course...Santa and Mrs. Claus. As the train came to a halt, Santa and the elves began to board our train. We were handed bells from the reindeer's harnesses. As told in the story, those who still believe can hear the ringing of the bells. It was a good thing that we all could hear their sound! Santa and Mrs. Claus stopped for a quick photo and continued to the next car. Our favorite part was when the chefs brought in cookies and chocolate milk for everyone. Then, the elves came back on the train and handed out Polar Express ornaments to each of us. It was a magical time for singing, dancing, and celebrating Christmas. Mary Conlee enjoyed dancing with one of our conductors on the train. Judd even managed a quick dip or two with her. I can't wait until we ride again next year!

Wish we had this at our house!
 

Team work
 

Our train car, the Kayenta
 

Our conductor
 
Posted by Picasa


Aboard the Polar Express
 

Mary Conlee and Aunt Jen
 

Watching...
 

Waiting...
 
Posted by Picasa


There's the North Pole!!!
 

Lights from Santa's workshop
 

The happy elves
 

Cole and MC with Elf-Me-Self!
 
Posted by Picasa


Santa and Mrs. Claus
 

Cookies and chocolate milk
 

Yummy snack
 

Pop enjoying the kids
 
Posted by Picasa


I BELIEVE!
 

Boogie time!
 

Daddy's turn
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a great time at The Polar Express! Thanks for inviting me.
Love, Aunt Jen

Leigh Ann said...

Looks like you had a great ride! I hope we can get tickets next year. Merry Christmas!!

ginny said...

Oh, Martha Ann! What wonderful fun y'all had! I believe, I believe!

Cheryl said...

Hey! I bet ya'll didn't know CheChe lives 5 minutes from the railway and she has always wanted to go on the Polar Express. Maybe next year. Looks like tons 'o fun.