Monday, August 9, 2010

Just Like Granny

When we visit Bubbe and Pop in Birmingham, the kids' favorite thing to do is to work outside in the yard with Bubbe. Whether it is pulling weeds, fertilizing flowers, raking leaves, or digging in the dirt...it's all fun to them. On one recent trip back home, I had gone shopping and left Cole and MC at Bubbe and Pop's house. I came back to see Mary Conlee wearing some of my Granny's "yard clothes" along with Bubbe's shoes and gardening gloves. I remember my Granny wearing the tank top and draw string pants as if it were yesterday. I had these same special times with my grandmother as MC does with hers. We are so thankful to Mama Charlie in Pensacola, who has fostered MC's love for cooking and for Bubbe encouraging her love for flowers.


Bubbe and MC working with the flowers. Thankfully MC's bow was still in place!


Watering the flowers with Peter's solution--just like Granny did

Another summer activity I remember about my grandmother was the amount of time she spent in the kitchen. She made three homemade meals for us each day, cooking many of the things grown in her garden. I regret not learning more of her kitchen secrets. She made the best fried apple pies, blackberry cobbler, and yeast rolls. She was also known to can sweet pickles. Our good friends, Lee and Beth Miller, have shared with us the best spicy dill pickles and squash grown in their back yard. MC and I fight over the pickles. They are the best!


Hands off...they're mine!

What Granny didn't grow, Daddy went and bought at the Farmer's Market in downtown Birmingham. I made that trip with him many times. We are so lucky to have a Farmer's Market in Tupelo 3 days each week. Our favorites are homegrown tomatoes, blueberries, corn, purple hull peas, and white peaches. Although Cole loves to eat these fresh treats, he isn't as fond of getting up early to get them. MC and I had fun times at the farmer's market this summer!


Yummy blueberries


We love the peaches from Memory Orchard grown by Mrs. Marian Faye

No comments: