While the kids were munching on their Happy Meals at Bubbe and Pop's house, I met Jennifer (aka Crab or Aunt Jen) and my 2nd grade teacher, Jean Reed, for some dinner and shopping. Jen and I go way back to our days as best friends at Samford University. While at Samford, I did my student teaching with Miss Reed. She and I kept in touch following my days at Edgewood Elementary (both times) and she is so dear to me. So it was great to catch up with both of them!
After a good appointment with Dr. Metz, we went on our whirlwind tour of Birmingham. We started out at Aunt Jen's office. The kids love hanging with the ladies of Mississippi Valley Title and they enjoyed a taste of what I like to call "Corporate America." You would think these attorneys and staff would be wearing business suits and answer to the title of Esquire, but not here! We got hula hoop lessons and played around on Facebook. If we had stayed for lunch, we could have enjoyed a game of Spades!
We left Aunt Jen's and headed for Homewood, my hometown. Our first stop was Savage's, a yummy bakery in downtown Homewood. The kids picked out some treats to bring home. Then, we went to see Jean Reed at her monogram shop, Little Legacies. You know how much we love our monograms! Keeping with the Homewood theme, we traveled to Samford for lunch and some shopping at the book store. We went to visit one of my college friends and bridesmaid, Jennifer Dunn (JD) Hall, who works with Student Activities. As soon as we get together, it's as if no time has passed between us! The kids thought it was cool to eat lunch in the food court where Mommy and Daddy went to school. On our way out of Homewood, we traveled a few miles up the mountain to see the Temple Sybil. That's the same spot where Judd and I got engaged. It is a beautiful replica of the Temple of Sibyl in Rome, Italy. Built in the 1920's, it overlooks all of Samford and the Homewood area. MC asked if she could dance while she was there. Well, why not?!
Our last stop before heading back to Tupelo was to Bubbe's office. The kids love to visit, as long as there are no shots involved! Cole and Mary Conlee enjoyed living a little of my past! As much fun as we had during the past 24 hours, we were glad to get back to our little corner of the world.
Jean Reed, my favorite teacher!
Crab and Me
Hand-me-downs...their favorite things to wear! MC in my old monogrammed sweater!
Saying goodbye to Pop
Waiting on Dr. Metz
Cole's turn

MC and Miss Michelle

Hula hooping in Corporate America
Aunt Jen trying to look professional!
At "Little Legacies" with Jean Reed
Savage's Bakery...our favorite!
Mmmm! MC making her selections
Visiting JD at Samford
Future Samford Bulldogs!
Sibyl Temple in Vestavia...where it all began!
The view of Samford from Sibyl
A visit to Bubbe's office
Back in Tupelo...home sweet home!

4 comments:
What a neat trip down memory lane! Next time I'm driving through Birmingham on my way to Atlanta I'll have to stop for treats at Savage's!
It was great to see all of you!
Love, Aunt Jen
Martha Ann,
I ALWAYS love seeing you! You are still the same the little girl I taught in second grade with ringlet curls and bright eyes and so much curiosity about the world! You never cease to amaze me with your quick witt and energy and excitement about life! You are so fun and funny! One day your children will properly appreciate having a mom like you---and like no other! I'm proud of your being named "Parent of the Year". And, I love you dearly. Jean Reed, Your Second Grade Teacher
Jen and Jean--with comments like these, I should visit more often! So glad we had such a great time :)
Post a Comment