Friday, March 13, 2009

Under the Big Top

 

On Thursday, the circus came to town! Actually, the Kindergartners at Parkway were the stars of the show as they performed their very own circus. The gym was transformed into a 3 ring circus, complete with acrobats, jugglers, clowns, animals, vendors, and ring masters. Of all the plays we have had or seen at Parkway, this one was the most elaborate and planned out of them all.

Several weeks ago, Mary Conlee told me that she was chosen to be a sad clown in the play. Not knowing the storyline, I didn't understand how a clown could be sad! Soon, she brought home her song to learn, and it all became clear. The ring master has lost his voice and they are in need of a replacement. As the cast of characters try to compete for the new ring master position, each explains why they would be the best choice for the job. When the clowns come out to play, MC was the only clown that couldn't make the audience laugh or smile. To cheer her up, they decide that she should be the new ringmaster! Under the direction of music teacher extroidinaire, Bridgett Hawkins, and with plenty of assistance from the Kindergarten teachers...our circus was born! Each child was transformed into a circus character. The costumes, make up, and props added so much to the production.

For now, Mary Conlee loves the stage...just like her Dad. Maybe one day they can share the stage together. Just wondering how Judd could fit into an elementary school costume?!

Elijah and Mary Conlee before the play
 

Makayla, Macie, and MC
 

On our way into the tent!
 

Welcome to the main event!
 

Our little clown!
 

The ringmasters
 

There were...spinning plates
 

Our jugglers
 

Balancing on balls
 

On the high wire
 

Katelyn--the tumbler!
 

The lion tamer
 

Popcorn! Peanuts!
 

Cotton candy and colas for sale!
 

I'm just a little sad clown
 

Trying to cheer her up
 

Ladies and Gentlemen...the ringmaster!
 

We love you, Mrs. Hawkins
 

Whew...it's over!
 

Written and illustrated by Mary Conlee
 

Bubbe and Pop came to town, too!
 

Who Wants to be the Ringmaster?


Clowning Around


Sad Clown


All out of schtick!


Me...the ringmaster? Oh no, I couldn't!


When the Circus Comes to Our Town!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Conlee, you did such a great job at the circus. You remembered all of your lines, sang beautifully, and "acted" the part of a sad little clown so well. I'm so proud of you! And I love your costume. Do you think it will fit me?

Miss Tina

Anonymous said...

Mae Mae, I am so proud of you!!! I am sorry I could not be there to see you! I am so glad Mommy put it on the blog so I could read all about it. Love, Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

Mae Mae,you were awesome in your circus play! I could understand all of your words perfectly and you have such a beautiful voice, too! I think you may be a star someday! (just like Hannah M.)I will bring Wotdaddy and Ladybug next time to see you perform!! Would you like that? Love, Miss Betty Gayle

Martha Ann said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments!! MC had a really good time performing in the play. MC was excited too see you there, BG!

Carley said...

that is the cutest sad clown!! she did great!!