Saturday, May 16, 2009

Recital Weekend

On Thursday and Friday, Mary Conlee had rehearsals for her ballet recital. At this age, they only have a 2 minute song...but it's my favorite thing to watch! She woke up extra early on Saturday morning, excited about her big day. She enjoys putting on lipgloss and wearing her dance costume, but she really loves getting to wear her hair in a bun! While we were walking into the Civic Auditorium before the recital, she said, "Mommy, I know you got me flowers, didn't you?" She loves walking into the dressing area and seeing flowers that were sent especially for her. This year, I signed the card from Mommy, Daddy, Cole, and Brody. But as soon as she saw Brody's name on there, she let out a squeal!!! "Brody got me some flowers," she exclaimed. Now we see who gets top billing.

Mommy and her little ballerina
 

I love my flowers!
 

All the pretty little mermaids in a row
 

Mary Conlee grabs a quick hug from Mrs. Sharon before the recital
 

Waiting for my turn to dance
 

The Little Mermaids
 

Dancing to "Under the Sea"
 



My ballet teacher, Mrs. Liza
 

My parents drove over from Birmingham early Sunday morning to spend the day with us. We enjoyed showering Bubbe with her late Mother's Day present and card. That afternoon, Mary Conlee had her piano recital. She began taking lessons in March and has fallen in love with it! I got to know her piano teacher, Linda Kinsey, when I went to Greece. She has a love for music and for children. She is the perfect fit for Mary Conlee. Many teachers will not take students until they are in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Having started lessons when I was 4 years old, it was important to me for Mary Conlee to begin as soon as she could. I have been so impressed with all the things Mrs. Kinsey has taught Mary Conlee in these past 2 1/2 months. Although she is the youngest and newest of Mrs. Kinsey's students, she felt right at home with the more seasoned students.

Mary Conlee played a song called "A Harp." She loved using the pedal on this piece, and she learned how to cross over with her hands! She and I also played a duet called "Wishing Well." Mrs. Kinsey invites any parent who can play the piano to play with their child at the recital. It was such a sweet moment to sit on the piano bench next to my little girl, playing a song together. It took me back to my childhood and the 12 years I took piano from my teacher, Sadie Murray. I can remember how much it was a drudgery to practice. My mom had to drag me indoors to play the piano, telling me that "practice makes perfect." Oh, how many times I heard that phrase! I was drug to lessons, recitals, and piano competitions. But now that I'm an adult, I am so glad they did. I am thankful that I can sit down and play a little Chopin, delve into some Disney tunes for Mary Conlee, and accompany my daughter her first piano recital. Thanks, Mom, Dad, and Granny for all the times you took me to lessons and waited in the car for me to finish. We dedicate our duet to you!

Waiting to play my song
 

Mary Conlee playing "A Harp"
 

My first piano recital


That was fun!
 

Bubbe and Pop came to hear me play
 

Mrs. Kinsey is the best piano teacher!
 

No comments: